|1. Blue Buffalo||2. Purina||3. Purina|
As a responsible cat owner, it’s your duty to spoil your cat with a nutritious and delectable diet. Your cat should have a diet that has all the necessary nutrients needed for her growth and development. Usually, these furry felines don’t require the carbohydrates present in grains; some cats even get serious digestion problems or allergies because of them. This list of best grain-free cat food can be the solution to your problems.
Your cat can be a picky eater. In that case, you have to select the right food with balanced nutrition and taste. You should analyze your cat’s needs and requirements before finalizing the right food for her. Maybe your cat prefers chicken over salmon? Or maybe she needs something that will calm her stomach?
To answer all the questions related to your cats food, you should know about them first. And, then maybe you’ll realize that a grain-free diet is probably the best diet for your cat. This article contains all you need to know about the best grain free cat food and why should you consider switching your cat’s diet.
Benefits of Grain-Free cat foods
1. Need for protein
Cats are obligate carnivores, which means that your cat needs a diet rich in animal proteins. An ideal diet for cats consists of about 35-45% of protein, a moderate amount of fat, and minimal carbohydrates. While choosing the right food for your feline, the amount of protein plays the most crucial role.
This is why people prefer to go for a grain-free diet. Protein is the main ingredient in this diet and it provides adequate nutrients for your cat.
2. Minimal carbs
As discussed before, your cat’s diet must have low carbs. According to a cat’s ancestral history, carbohydrates were never the primary source of their energy. Carbohydrates found in foods like wheat, barley, rice, and corn, are only a small portion of a cat’s diet.
Therefore, it is vital to check the carbohydrates level before deciding the best grain-free cat food for you. Ingredients like vegetables like potatoes or peas also increase the carbs even though they’re grain-free. Thus, they should be avoided too.
3. Great for sensitive cats
Grains are listed among common allergens for cats. They can cause itching, disrupted stomach, or other digestive issues. Even if your cat hasn’t been diagnosed by a veterinarian, you can change their diet once you start noticing the symptoms.
Hence, switching to a grain-free diet might give you a calm and happy cat. And which pet owner doesn’t want that?
Top 12 Best Grain Free cat foods 2020
1. Blue Buffalo
Blue Buffalo Grain Free Dry Cat Food is packed with real chicken to fulfill your cat’s protein requirements. It will help your cat to build as well as maintain their lean body mass. This cat food also comes with fatty acid to maintain your cat’s shiny coat and skin.
This product is the best for you if you need to exclude grains like corn, wheat, or soy. Blue Buffalo Wilderness doesn’t include any harmful artificial flavors or additives. Their formula also has a perfectly balanced blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants – collectively known as the LifeSource Bits.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness cat food improves and maintains the overall health of your cat. The calorie content is about 3,832 Kcals/kg.
- It contains real chicken protein.
- This product has BLUE’s exclusive Life Force Bits to support your cat’s immune system.
- It has below average carbohydrates, fit for your cat’s carbs requirement.
- It contains all-natural ingredients, free from any preservatives.
- Omega 3 and 6 are present here to promote healthy and shiny fur.
- The product is available in a five-pound bag as well as an eleven-pound bag.
- It comes in three different flavors, namely duck, chicken, and salmon.
- This cat food is great for adult cats but not for kittens.
Purina ONE Tender Cat Food comes in two flavors, namely chicken and salmon. This twenty-two-pound product contains real chicken as its top ingredient. This ensures that your cat gets the right amount of protein to promote muscle growth.
This cat food contains omega-6 fatty acids to support the healthful growth of their fur and skin. It ensures that their coat has a constant and healthy radiance to it.
The formula of this product has no fillers in it which means that every ingredient is present for a purpose. It provides a balanced meal for your cat, with some extra benefits. If you’re looking for something to improve your cat’s teeth, then Purina might be the best grain free cat food for you.
The crunchy kibble provided in their products helps in reducing the buildup of plaque. It also has a special benefit of whitening your cat’s teeth.
- This brand offers a different formula for different cats, depending on their tastes and choices.
- Purina Dry Cat Food is veterinarian-approved pet food.
- This protein-rich product is made from real meat.
- It has a balanced meal designed to fit any adult cat.
- It has no fillers.
- The Purina One product comes in two different flavors.
- Crunchy bites will make your cat love their food.
- It has been formulated and designed only for adult cats.
- The dry and crunchy texture may not be preferred by some cats.
Purina Beyond Wet Cat Food contains real beef and chicken which gives your cat the perfect amount of protein. Vegetables like carrots and a savory gravy are provided for a well-balanced diet. They still focus on keeping the level of carbohydrates as minimal as possible.
This formula is free from any preservatives, artificial colors, additives, or any harmful ingredient. It doesn’t have any ingredients like wheat, soy, corn, or even any poultry by-product meal. Along with being grain-free, their recipe is also gluten-free.
One pack contains about twelve cans of wet cat food, giving you a very affordable option for the healthy life of your cat.
- This brand has premium grain-free recipes, made with high-quality ingredients.
- The product has real meat and beef.
- To promote the all-round development of your cat, it also has real carrots.
- The canister consists of chunks submerged in gravy for creating a wet tasty recipe for your feline.
- It is completely natural, with no artificial flavor or additives.
- This is also gluten-free and has no poultry by-product.
- Wheat, soy, or corn is not present in this cat food.
- It has a low level of carbohydrates.
- This recipe is not fit for kittens.
- The new formula, updated in February 2018, contains Vitamin K3 (Menadione) which can be a reason for unease in pets.
- The wet formula may not be preferred by every cat.
This Purina recipe is a high protein pet food, with real white ocean fish as their primary ingredient. It is completely gluten-free and grain-free. If your cat faces constant digestive problems, then this is the best grain free cat food for you. It has a variety of natural probiotics to promote your pet’s digestive health.
This product is also free from any corn, soy, wheat, artificial flavor, or any poultry by-product. Purina products are completely natural with no additives or preservatives. Along with using whitefish as its main ingredient, it also has nutritious high-quality ingredients like egg and sweet potato.
- Purina Beyond Dry Cat Food is rich in protein with premium ingredients like a real ocean whitefish.
- It is gluten-free as well as grain-free.
- This product is packed with natural probiotics to promote digestive health.
- The recipe is free from soy, wheat, corn, or any poultry by-product.
- Completely natural ingredients with no preservatives and artificial colors.
- It is manufactured using earth-friendly procedures, like efficiently using the water resources and renewable energy sources.
- The carbohydrate content is 28-30% which is greater than other products.
- The packaging is not resealable so you will have to be careful after opening it.
- It has a very crunchy texture which can cause some discomfort in various cats.
- This recipe is only for adult cats.
If you have more than one cat, with different age groups, then this is the best cat food for you. This delicious product is fit for cats of all age groups, right from kittens to seniors.
The primary ingredient of this pet food is real chicken which gives the perfect amount of protein to your cat. It also contains fatty acids like omega-6 for maintaining healthy and shiny fur.
Purina Cat Chow Dry Cat Food is completely natural with no added preservatives or artificial colors. This product also contains real salmon and leafy vegetables to increase the flavor and suit your cat’s taste buds. Packed with twenty-five essential vitamins and minerals, this product gives every bit of nutrition your cat needs to live a happy, stable, and long life.
- It is made with real chicken and salmon to give a balanced as well as a delectable meal to your cat.
- It does not have any peas.
- The formula is free from any preservatives or artificial flavor.
- It has a completely balanced nutritional value for every age of a cat.
- In spite of being pea-free, it is not completely grain-free. It has grains like wheat and various other grains.
- The carbohydrates are more than average.
This high-protein cat food is made to fit all of your cat’s nutritional requirements. If you’re looking for pet food that can help maintain the health of your cat’s urinary tract, then this is the best grain free cat food for you. It has an abundance of cranberries to give extra support to your cat’s urinary health. It is also free from any artificial flavors, preservatives, or additives.
Along with the high-quality chicken, this recipe also contains carrots to provide a surplus of antioxidants. It also contains fatty acids from flax seeds to promote a healthy and shiny fur coat.
Fresh and real meat is included in this diet along with vitamins packed ingredients, like salmon, egg, or chicken. Wellness complete offers a complete grain-free product, free from wheat, soy, and corn.
- They use real chicken as their main ingredient.
- It is carefully crafted to support all five health problems of your cat – healthy and shiny skin, digestion problems, urinary tract issues, strong teeth and gums, and immunity.
- It’s loaded with cranberries to give an abundance of antioxidants to your feline friend.
- It has vitamins, minerals, and essential taurine to enhance immunity and well-being of your cat.
- The recipe also has an added moisture level which helps in hydrating your cat, even when she doesn’t bother to finish her water bowl.
- Free from grains, preservatives, artificial colors, carrageenan, and additives.
- It is designed only to fit the lifestyle of an adult cat.
- A new formula may end up causing more weight loss than required because of the low-fat content.
- The new recipe has the tendency to sponge up and has a lumpy texture.
7. Taste of the Wild
This Taste of the Wild recipe is formulated for all the age groups. It contains smoked salmon and roasted venison for a high-quality protein-rich diet. These ingredients perfectly blend together to give a strong immunity, an energized system, and an abundance of antioxidants.
The calorie content of this product is about 3,745 kcal/kg. All of the elements that are used in this product are highly nutritious and digestible.
Packed with vitamins and minerals, this product has about 42℅ of protein. They develop species-specific probiotics that are made for cats and they are added after the manufacturing process is over. This is done to protect their viability.
The amino acid, Taurine, is effective for maintaining your cat’s heart and eyes. Many ingredients like peas, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes are present to provide your cat with some much-needed antioxidants. They also have an adequate balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to support healthy skin and lustrous coat.
- It has real salmon and venison to promote lean body muscle.
- This recipe contains real fruits that help in maintaining the overall health of your cat.
- It has an abundance of antioxidants.
- Packed with vitamins and minerals.
- It has a delicate blend of omega-6 and omega-3 amino acids to provide healthy skin and a shiny coat to your cat.
- If you have a sensitive cat, then this is the product you have been searching for.
- Made with carefully selected ingredients, and has no additional preservatives, artificial coloring, and corn, wheat, or grain.
- A highly specific proprietary probiotic blend made especially for your cat.
- It can be too crunchy for some cats.
- The probiotic blend may not suit every cat.
If your cat prefers a little poultry taste in her meals, then this is the best grain free cat food for you. This company even claims that you’ll see a visible difference in just twenty-four days.
The formula contains real chicken as the main ingredient which will fulfill the protein requirements of your cat. It contains zero fillers which means each and every ingredient has some purpose.
Packed with nutrients, minerals, and vitamins, this recipe brings a poultry flavor on your cat’s table. The delicious gravy given with the tender meat will tempt your cat, giving her a nutritious as well as a delicious meal. This product is completely natural with no preservatives or artificial flavor, specially designed to keep your cat healthy and active.
- It has real chicken to fulfill the protein requirement of your pet.
- This formula is suitable for all ages of cats.
- The gravy is filled with antioxidants to strengthen the immune system.
- It has zero fillers.
- This product is completely natural, with no artificial flavors or preservatives.
- It is also filled with omega-6 fatty acids to support healthy and shiny fur.
- The wet formula may not be liked by every cat.
- This formula may cause yellow teeth.
- May not give the perfect nutrition to an adult cat.
- The level of carbohydrates is a little high for adult cats.
- Packaging can be easily dented.
9. Rachael Ray
Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Food For Cats is made with real tuna to give your cat all the necessary protein she needs. Along with nutrition, it has a great taste just like real tuna and is carefully stewed in a savory sauce. This product is inspired by gourmet dishes, to leave your cat wanting more and more.
This product is completely natural with no artificial flavors, colors, or any additives. Along with being grain-free, it is free from wheat, corn, and soy. The formula is filled with vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids like taurine. It is also free from any meat by-products, perfect for those felines who often suffer from an upset stomach.
- This formula is fit for cats of all age groups.
- The main ingredient is real tuna which provides the necessary protein needed for your cat.
- Your cat will get a balanced meal, with a proper blend of vitamins and minerals.
- It has all the necessary antioxidants and amino acids like taurine.
- Omega fatty acids are naturally found in tuna which will help your cat in maintaining healthy skin and lustrous fur.
- It is grain-free as well as gluten-free.
- It has no wheat, soy, or corn.
- No fillers are present in their ingredient list.
- There are no meat by-products, artificial colors, or preservatives.
- If you are concerned with your pet’s allergies, digestive problems, or obesity, then this is the best grain free cat food for you.
- The texture is wet and lumpy which may not be liked by all cats.
This product contains about 40% of protein, with real chicken as their primary ingredient. It is completely natural with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Along with being grain-free, it is also free from soy, grain, or wheat.
This formula is fit for adult cats, helping them to maintain a lean and healthy body. One package has about 4.63 kilograms of food, which is a very affordable option for any house cat.
- The recipe has real chicken.
- It contains about 40% of protein
- This is very good for adult cats.
- It has low carbohydrates.
- Packed with nutrients and minerals to maintain a healthy and fit body.
- It is cooked and processed with the finest ingredients.
- Provides a well-balanced diet.
- This can only be ingested by adult cats.
- There is no omega-3 in this formula.
This recipe is made from whole chickens and not any rendered fish meal or chicken meal. It improves and maintains the digestive health of your feline. Along with an entire chicken, it also includes chicken liver, chickpeas, and non-GMO vegetables.
If you are searching for cat food to control her weight, then this is the best cat food for you. The formula is made to provide healthy weight with lowered calorie intake and fat. It also has L-carnitine which promotes the metabolism of your cat, helping your furry friends to achieve a healthy weight.
Halo also makes sure that the chicken used in this recipe is substantially grown and cage-free.
- This is made with a real whole chicken.
- Halo doesn’t believe in rendering meat meals.
- It has an ideal calorific value.
- The formula has adequate fiber content, along with L-carnitine that is helpful in promoting metabolism.
- An abundance of antioxidants is provided to your cat through non-GMO carrots, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and blueberries.
- It is completely natural with no preservatives, artificial flavor or colors, hormones, or antibiotics.
- There are supplements to provide crucial fatty acids for healthy skin and shiny fur.
- This formula is only for indoor cats, not for any strays.
- It can only be given to adult cats.
12. Blue Buffalo
This wet cat food has high-quality nutritious ingredients like real chicken, chicken liver, and chicken broth. Your cat will also get a surplus of antioxidants from potatoes and flax seeds. Flaxseed will also provide omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and shiny fur. It has no wheat, corn, soy, or grain in its recipe.
This is an all-natural product with no preservatives, additives, and artificial colors. Blue Buffalo line comes in various flavors and tastes to suit your cat’s needs. This food contains all the vitamins and minerals needed for a house cat.
- It contains real chicken, chicken broth, and chicken liver as their main ingredients.
- Extremely affordable product.
- It has the perfect blend of nutrition for adult cats.
- It has flax seeds for omega fatty acids.
- It also contains vegetables for antioxidants.
- This recipe is completely natural with no artificial colors or preservatives.
- It is gluten-free.
- It is grain-free.
- This product has no wheat, corn, or soy.
- A well-balanced meal for a house cat.
- It is only fit for adult cats.
- Not meant for stray cats.
FAQs on Grain Free Cat Food
1. What creates a decent grain-free food?
You must make sure that the food you’re offering to your cat is exactly what she needs. One of the most basic points to keep in mind is that the product must follow the nutritional guidelines laid down by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). It is mandatory for all the pet food products to meet these guidelines before they advertise their product as balanced and complete.
The next thing to consider is your cat’s personal taste and preference. Each cat is unique and has their own individual requirements. If you bought what you believe is the highest quality cat food available, your cat may not like it.
Therefore, you have to select a flavor that she’ll like. Fortunately, the cat food market is filled with numerous flavors to suit the needs of every picky cat. Hence, it’s better to follow the nutritional requirements given by your veterinarian, and then select a flavor your cat will love to eat.
2. How to soothe your cat’s upset stomach?
There are various reasons behind a cat getting an upset stomach. It can range from not liking the food to eating it too fast because they liked it too much. If your cat constantly gets upset stomach signs like regurgitation or diarrhea. Then you must go to a veterinarian and follow certain steps to take care of your sensitive cat.
Always keep track of what cat your cat is eating. If you have just gotten a new cat, then make sure to know about her food habits before you make any drastic changes in her diet. It’s also important to know about the frequency and timings of her meals.
If your cat is not new, then make sure that you are aware of someone else feeding her something. You need to check her diet thoroughly before going to a veterinarian to know what food she is sensitive to.
If you have bought or adopted a cat, then the transition to a new diet should always be slow and steady. It’s best to continue the previous diet for one to two weeks, slowly making small changes to her diet. Any sudden change will cause distress and she will most likely throw up her food.
If you need to make that transition in her diet more quickly, replace the original meal with some boiled white rice. Keep adding the new diet supplement after every three to four days. You can also ask your veterinarian to suggest some feline probiotics to make this transition more smooth and quick.
There are some signs that are more than the usual “upset stomach”. If your cat shows any of these signs, it’s best to take her to a professional as soon as you can.
- If you see blood in her stool.
- She experiences loose stool quite often.
- There’s a change in her appetite.
- She no longer gets thirsty.
- If you notice her stool getting darker.
- Constant vomiting.
Before changing your cat’s diet, it is always advisable to check with your veterinarian if that diet is suitable for your cat. You can always ask for their recommendations to find the best food for your pet.
3. How much should you feed your cat?
The quantity of food that should be fed to your pet depends on various factors –
The amount of food you give to your cat should always depend on the kind of lifestyle she follows. If your cat is rather sedentary, then it’s best for you to calculate and track her calorie intake. On the other hand, if she exercises a little every day, you can go easy on her meals.
If your cat is healthy and lean, you can just follow the feeding instructions given on the food label but if she’s overweight, you should reduce her calorie intake.
Kittens, as well as the developing indoor cats, require more nutrition and food as compared to adults and seniors. Those senior cats who lead a sedentary life need less quantity of food than adults. You have to make sure that you don’t overfeed them.
If your cat has recently experienced something that may have caused stress to her, for instance, if you moved to a new place or she got pregnant, then you need to give her more food than her usual quantity.
Once the situation has calmed down, you can follow the feeding instructions given by your veterinarian.
4. How to know if your cat is overweight or obese?
Indoor cats are more likely to get overweight or obese as compared to outdoor cats. This is because they get little to no physical activity in their daily lifestyle which is why the amount of calorie burnt is very less.
Cats who are overweight are in the constant risk of developing a cardiovascular problem, joints problem, or other life-threatening diseases like, type 2 diabetes, Mellitus, respiratory disease, osteoarthritis, and non-allergic skin problems.
Now, if you’re confused about whether your cat is overweight or obese, the following points may help you.
If your cat has become sedentary over time then her weight might be an issue. You should take your cat to a skilled veterinarian whenever you notice something has changed from her usual lifestyle. It’s possible that her weight might not be the only reason for her sedentary nature, which is why you should always consult your vet before making any change in your cat’s diet.
Sounds by cat
You can also notice the way your cat walks or jumps off from higher places to understand if she needs fewer calories in her diet. Cats are usually very silent and stealthy. Therefore, when you begin hearing constant thuds whenever your cat jumps, it might be a good sign to start cutting off some calories from her food.
This still doesn’t permit you to make any drastic changes in her diet. Any change you want to make should be slow and periodical to prevent any signs of an upset stomach.
This may sound strange but gently squeeze your cat to know if she’s overweight or obese. If you are able to feel her ribs without much struggle, she’s fine and you can continue with the feeding instructions given on the food label.
The more noticeable these signs are, the more obese your cat is. This doesn’t mean you have to give her bland low-calorie food; there are many grain-free low-calorie cat foods in this list with great taste and flavor.
When you see your cat gaining weight regularly, you should definitely take her to a vet as this can be very destructive for her overall health.
Get The Best Grain-Free Cat Foods To Give Your Little Friend A Healthy Life-style Today!
Overall, cats need much more protein in their diet than dogs. They need a customized diet to meet their nutritional requirements. This is why you should consult a veterinarian and carefully analyze your cat’s eating habits before making any changes to her diet.
This article will be useful for every cat owner who is confused about deciding the best grain-free cat food.
If you are still clueless about your cat’s preference, it’s time to take out your magnifying glass and follow your cat. You might find something new!